Saturday, March 26, 2011

Get Busy Living, Or Get Busy Dying

Today started out great. A good workout, a bath with the Mrs and some fun wrestling the kiddos. But it took a turn for the worse when we did our budgeting for the week. Let's just say there is more outgoing than incoming. Bleh! That really ticked me off. I'm almost 30 and it just seems like the same old broken record with our money problems. When will I/we learn?

So I was pissed and I was taking it out on myself by eating way too much for lunch. 2 servings of leftovers from last night and then a quesadilla on top of it. But that's what I do. I eat my feelings. I plopped down in front of the computer with my quesadilla and pulled up youtube. I clicked on a channel from my friend Micah and watched a video I had just watched a couple of days ago. It's from his weight loss channel called Thinktopia. Here's the video:


If you want to skip to the part that hit me it starts at 5:15 in the video. Micah talks about maintaining our motivations when we decide to make changes. I don't know why, but at the beginning of this year I was able to look myself in the eye and say, "Hey fatty, it's time to make some changes." And it worked. I've lost 20 lbs in a little over 2 months. Plus, I feel great and I look sooo much better. But today I felt like I was on that slope, heading down quickly. But it's time to recommit. It's time to reevaluate and it's time to succeed.

I am one of those people that believe the mind is more powerful that anything. I feel like I was able to find success with my weight loss because I made the decision in my mind that I would be successful. Lately I have found a lot of motivation from Micah in a few ways. Hey has a great blog at www.micahstubblefield.com/ where he writes about his endeavors to become better. He is taking on things like learning photography, teaching himself the piano, and even creating iphone apps. I can't help but feel that there is more for me. Sometimes I look at my life and feel like I could have so much more if I just put my mind to it. And that is what I am doing.

I am taking on a few projects. Things that will teach me new skills and give me new experiences. Things that I have always wanted to do but I didn't do because I didn't think they held enough value. As Andy Dufresne says in The Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy living, or get busy dying."

You can look forward to my "living" in these posts.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. My goal is to be that spark for people. Thanks for the compliments. Another area I want to learn is public/motivational speaking.

    ReplyDelete