Sunday, March 6, 2011

Simply Smashing


Once upon a time I saw the Smashing Pumpkins playing an awards show on television. I was probably 14, and I was terrified. The lead singer, Billy Corgan, looked like some kind of creature from a horror movie. Shaved head, skinny, and just plain evil looking. Plus the music... Loud and angry. And then one day I listened to them. Love.

"Coil my tongue 'round a bumble bee mouth"

I would say the Smashing Pumpkins were one of my favorite bands for a long time. Mainly because they could take the listener from the edge of aggression and angst to a meadow all fluffy with thick flowing grass. I loved the emotion. And, apparently I still do.

A few years ago all of my music was stolen from me, twice. So the music I have had was pirated from the interweb. (Shut up, everyone does it) Which worked great until my crap-tastic laptop died. So with this new pc I have started downloading some of my old favorites. The Pumpkins, Cake, Blues Traveler.

Music doesn't mean what it used to mean to me. But I still enjoy it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment